Islamic State (IS) has lost more
than a quarter of its territory in Iraq since the US-led coalition air
campaign began in August, a Pentagon spokesman says.
Col Steve Warren said
it was too early to say the tide was turning, but that air strikes and
Iraqi ground forces had "unquestionably inflicted some damage".
IS took over large swathes of northern and western Iraq last June.
The announcement came ahead of talks between Iraq's prime minister and President Barack Obama in Washington.
Before
leaving for the US, Haider al-Abadi made clear that he wanted the
coalition to step up its air campaign against IS, which advanced across
Iraq last June after routing the country's security forces.
'Damage inflicted'
Col
Warren told a news conference in Washington on Thursday that IS had
lost approximately 25% to 30% of its territory in Iraq in the past eight
months, which equated to 12,950 to 15,540 sq km (5,000 to 6,000 sq
miles).
Coalition and government forces had "unquestionably inflicted some
damage on [IS] and have pushed [IS] back in a somewhat meaningful way",
he said.
A Pentagon map
showed the jihadist group had "lost large areas where it was once
dominant" and the frontline had been pushed either west or south,
depending on location, in the provinces of Irbil, Babil, Baghdad and
Kirkuk, Col Warren added.
"Among other strategic infrastructure
and sizeable towns where [IS] has lost territory are Mosul Dam, Zummar
and the vicinity of Sinjar Mountain."
The corridor north of Tikrit
had been "substantially retaken by friendly forces" and the city was
expected to be cleared of militants "relatively soon", he said


Post a Comment